Yesterday, I posted a photo regarding my feelings of exhaustion and I was pretty overwhelmed with the amount of friends struggling with the same issue of getting into a funk. Whether you’re a calligrapher- like me- sitting in a 9-5, or even a full-time mommy – I can relate to you. There really is no difference between the two of us. The work MUST go on and if you’re not getting it done, there is no one else there to do it for you. Sometimes you feel completely alone. No human interaction for hours, maybe even days?
So what is my magic potion?! Unfortunately, I am still creating one. But I have found a few pretty amazing things that help me when I need a boost.
- Surround yourself with people that know your breaking point. This is number one for me, and I touched on how it has helped me yesterday. My boyfriend, Nick, has really been that rock for me. He just knows when I have had too much and even advises me to make a change. Whether it be a best friend, hubby, family- let them in and allow them to advise when you need a little help. Being a creative entrepreneur, or any entrepreneur for that matter- you will be alone! Who is going to take care of you? Who is going to make sure you are okay at work. I know for sure I can’t do it on my own.
- Get outside! Get some fresh air. Yesterday I got a coffee and sat outside. Killing two birds with one stone. I can’t tell you how much more productive I was after I did it. I got a whole invitation suite completed in an hour! That’s unheard of!!
- Get your body moving! Walk, run, sit, stand! Anything helps! One of my go-to’s lately, has been a workout video. I specifically like Fitness Blender on Youtube! Tons and I mean tons of workout videos that you can do from anywhere! Completely free, and easy to use. I also recommend a quick walk while listening to a podcast! My favorites are: Goal Digger, Creative Empire!
- Change your scenery! How can you get out of your normal routine? Can you leave your office? Can you work in another room, coffee shop, or even a park? Make a change! Sometimes thats all you need to get those juices flowing again. Can’t leave your office, what can you change about your routine before or after work?
- Find a passion/hobby! The reason I started lettering to begin with was my feeling of being stuck at my 9 to 5. And look at my hobby now! It has turned into a full time business. You really never know what a hobby will become for you. But this also means, that I need something additional in my life to take my mind off of work. Looming(aka weaving) has done this for me. Find your something to help you get out of that funk.
- Phone a friend! Call that bestie of yours. Vent for ten minutes, then get after it. Sometimes all I need is a little bitching before I hop back onto my laptop. Maybe your friend needs to hear your voice as well!
- Plan something that you can look forward to! I got this one from my roommate. She is a total adventure lover- so she just booked a trip to Ireland. There is nothing like knowing you are going somewhere new and looking forward to it to help get out of that funk! I have a trip planned for early March with my family to the snow. Knowing that this trip is right around the corner makes me excited to get through the next couple of weeks.
- Eating healthy! But splurging on a piece of chocolate or two! YUP! Eat a salad for lunch, then go grab a piece of dark chocolate to boost that cute little brain of yours. You deserve it.
- Grab a coffee! As much as caffeine can be abused, it also can help from time to time. Now, I don’t mean going to the kitchen and pumping some more coffee out of that Kurig of yours. Go to a coffee shop, order that latte, and get after it. Have your barista even make you a pretty design, sure makes me happy.
- Me- time! Pedicure, coffee date, massage(even a cheap one!), or a date night with your man. Whatever it may be, take that time to relax, rejuvenate, and get yourself back in the game!
Some of these might seem self explanatory- but honestly, it wasn’t until I started writing them out that I realized I haven’t done very many of them for myself lately. Tally it up for yourself. Have you done at least 8 of the recommendations on my list in the past week? If not, do one today.. better yet, right now!